For: College Education Majors
Parents Who Want to Homeschool Their Children
The Training of Adult Literacy Volunteer Tutors
& Especially College Reading Instructors Willing to Try New Approaches to Old
Table of Contents
that are links are available for free PDF download.
Preface: Skip this and you'll flunk for sure
Section 1: The Nature of the Learning-to-Read Process
Section 3: The Nature of the Learning-to-Write Process
A Common Sense Approach to the Teaching of Handwriting.
20. A Rationale for Teaching Reading/Spelling Through the Side Door of
21. How the AVKO Approach Differs from the Traditional Approaches.
22. Developing a School-Wide Approach to the Teaching of Spelling Through
23. Techniques for Teaching Handwriting.
24. The Straw Dummy: A Suggested Order for Presenting Spelling Patterns
to be Used in Handwriting.
Section 4: The Nature of the Spelling / Reading Connection.
25. The Mechanics of English Spelling.
26. Would you believe that suot, this, sit, cit, citter, shut, shet,
chit, and chits are all misspellings of the same scatological word by
Kin Awl Weighs Spill Chick Awl Yore Dock You Mints.
28. What Does a Gallop Poll on Spelling Reveal?
Section 6: Activities & Materials for the Classroom
42. Comparison of Standard Approaches to Spelling and AVKO's. 43. How to Develop Your Own Sequential Spelling Tests. 44. How to Evaluate Your Present Spelling System.
45. An Index of Phonic Patterns by Vowel Types.
46. The Three Different Words Spelled H-A-V-E.
47. The Three "TOOZE": TOO, two, & to.
48. The SQ3R Reading Formula Really Works.
49. A Listing of Phonic Patterns for Older Students.
Underlining or Highlighting: Cueing the Computer
51. The Proper Editing of Notes: The Key to Successful Learning.
52. Building a Better Vocabulary the Lazy Man's Way. 53. Reading Improvement through SIT-DOWN: Student
Individualized Teacher Directed
with Students correcting their OWN.
54. Taking the sting out of Testing When Giving Word Recognition Tests to
Special Education Students.
55. Sample Word Family Puzzles that Special Education Students Can Create.
56. How to Set Up a Community Education Course for Adults Whose Children (OR
SPOUSES) Have Reading/Spelling Problems.
57. The Case of the Invisible Y or Why is there a Y in You and Not in
("YOO'n Yun"), Eunice, ("YOO Niss") and huge ("HYOOJ").
58. The Holder of the Folder, Each One Teach One 4th to 12th.
59. NOTICE IS NOT NOT ICE AND NOT ICE IS NOT NOTICE.
Section 7: Miscellaneous Essays That Need to be Written: Possible
Term Paper Subjects or thesis proposals
60. Beware of Educational Studies. You can find studies to support
almost any viewpoint, no matter how bizarre.
61. Beware of major school book publishers. There may not be a
conspiracy as such, but the very nature of publishing and marketing encourages a situation
that is educationally unhealthy.
62. How the federal and state departments of education waste most of their
If you would like to write one of these chapters and have it published in a
subsequent edition of this book, please e-mail