View sample (PDF)
These survey tests - Lessons 1 - 265 - use the 5,507 most
important words to learn. They are presented in
exact statistical order of difficulty according to the study, The New Iowa Spelling Scale
by the late Dr. Harry A. Greene, University of Iowa You can find the entire
study in The Reading Teacher's List of Over 5,000
Basic Spelling Words.
one can create a completely tailored spelling program that
uses the same techniques of
but covers only the word families that need to be taught for
your child. Administer the placement tests, discover
the word families that have yet to be mastered, and then
look up those word families in
The Patterns of
English Spelling (free
members). Then you just
create your own Sequential Spelling tests.
All of the lists from Individualized Spelling,
including the quick initial screening tests, have been made
SpellingCity.com as a resource to our members and the
community at large.
Read our article on AVKO's Individualized Spelling on
- Level A: Lessons 1-25 cover the essential words, known by 93 - 99% of adults.
- Level B: Lessons 26-75 cover the essential words, known by 89 - 92% of adults.
- Level C: Lessons 76-125 cover important words, known by 75 - 88% of adults.
- Level D: Lessons 126-153 cover important words, known by 65-70% of adults.
- Level E: Lessons 154-177 cover important words, known by 59-71% of adults.
- Level F: Lessons 178-201 cover important words, known by 50-58% of adults.
- Level G: Lessons 202-225 cover important words, known by 33-49% of adults.
- Level H: Lessons 226-249 cover advanced words, known by 33-49% of
- Level I: Lessons 250-265 cover advanced words, known by 5-32% of adults.
- Contains Survey Tests for Placement
- Contains directions for use with
The Patterns of
English Spelling and Word Families in Sentence Context.
- Every word is cross-referenced to
The Patterns of English Spelling.
- Students study only the patterns they need to learn.
- For each pattern they master, they may learn from 10 - 100 different words. For example,
if a student learns the
"-ection" pattern, he may be learning
72 different words from section to directional.