A Supplementary Textbook for College Education Majors with Practical
Classroom Diagnostic Tests and Answers to the Phonics vs. Whole Language Controversy.
that are links are available for free PDF download.
Preface: Skip this and you'll flunk for sure
Section 1: The Nature of the Learning-to-Read Process
1. Learn about the Learning-to-Read Process by
Teaching Yourself to Read and Write Upside down.
2. Definitions of Reading.
Definitions of Dyslexia: Official Definitions defined. If it looks
like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.
4. What dyslexia researchers should NOT be researching.
5. What dyslexia researchers SHOULD be researching.
6. Common Misconceptions about
Section 2: Phonics, Phonemics, Phonetics, and Phunny Ideas about Teaching
Reading & Writing
7. A Phonics Test for Good Readers.
"Simple" Fonnix Ken Bee Phun Kwiz.
9. A Comprehension Test for Good Readers.
10. A, Ma, Mag, Magi, Magic, Magic--a dem, demo, demon, demons,
11. Is Professor AVKO Right? A Challenge to Educators and Educational
Researchers at Every Level.
12. J.R.'s Rebuttal of Professor AVKO's Challenge and Professor AVKO's
Rebuttal of the Rebuttal.
13. First Things First. How DO we teach the alphabet? How SHOULD
14. What Did You Learn in School Today?
15. 220 Dolch Words Are Too Many for Students with Memories like Mine.
16. A Common Sense Approach to Controlled Word Lists.
17. Statues and Sanctuaries or a Practical Use of Miscue Analysis:
18. Comprehension/Schema Theory: A Practical Application.
Section 3: The Nature of the Learning-to-Write Process
A Common Sense Approach to the Teaching of Handwriting.
20. A Rationale for Teaching Reading/Spelling Through the Side Door of
21. How the AVKO Approach Differs from the Traditional Approaches.
22. Developing a School-Wide Approach to the Teaching of Spelling Through
23. Techniques for Teaching Handwriting.
24. The Straw Dummy: A Suggested Order for Presenting Spelling Patterns
to be Used in Handwriting.
Section 4: The Nature of the Spelling / Reading Connection.
25. The Mechanics of English Spelling.
26. Would you believe that suot, this, sit, cit, citter, shut, shet,
chit, and chits are all misspellings of the same scatological word by
Kin Awl Weighs Spill Chick Awl Yore Dock You Mints.
28. What Does a Gallop Poll on Spelling Reveal?
Section 5: Diagnostic & Prescriptive Tests
29. An Almost Jargon-Free Reading & Spelling IEP.
30. The New AVKO Pre- and Post- Diagnostic Spelling Test on 100 of the Most
Common Phonograms in the English Language.
31. A Sentence Dictation Test That Covers Over 300 of the Most Commonly Used
32. An L.D. Screening Device That Can Be Given to Entire Schools in
Less Than 10 Minutes!
33. A Memo to the English Department Chairman, Mott Community College.
34. English Spelling: The Simple, the Fancy, the Insane, the Tricky,
and the Scrunched Up.
35. Survey Tests for the Simple, the Fancy, the Insane, the Tricky, and the
36. Suggested Order for Diagnosis & Remediation of the Simple (e.g.,
37. Suggested Order for Diagnosis & Remediation of the Fancy (e.g.,
precious, unique, initials).
38. Suggested Order for Diagnosis & Remediation of the Insane (e.g.,
laugh, Thames, lough, victuals).
39. Suggested Order for Diagnosis & Remediation of the Tricky (e.g.,
read/reed read/red; except/accept).
40. Homophonic Riddles.
41. Suggested Order for Diagnosis & Remediation of the Scrunched Up
(e.g., wasn't, used to, shouldn't have).
Section 6: Activities & Materials for the Classroom
42. Comparison of Standard Approaches to Spelling and AVKO's.
43. How to Develop Your Own Sequential Spelling Tests.
44. How to Evaluate Your Present Spelling System.
45. An Index of Phonic Patterns by Vowel Types.
46. The Three Different Words Spelled H-A-V-E.
47. The Three "TOOZE": TOO, two, & to.
48. The SQ3R Reading Formula Really Works.
49. A Listing of Phonic Patterns for Older Students.
Underlining or Highlighting: Cueing the Computer
51. The Proper Editing of Notes: The Key to Successful Learning.
52. Building a Better Vocabulary the Lazy Man's Way.
53. Reading Improvement through SIT-DOWN: Student
Individualized Teacher Directed
with Students correcting their OWN.
54. Taking the sting out of Testing When Giving Word Recognition Tests to
Special Education Students.
55. Sample Word Family Puzzles that Special Education Students Can Create.
56. How to Set Up a Community Education Course for Adults Whose Children (OR
SPOUSES) Have Reading/Spelling Problems.
57. The Case of the Invisible Y or Why is there a Y in You and Not in
("YOO'n Yun"), Eunice, ("YOO Niss") and huge ("HYOOJ").
58. The Holder of the Folder, Each One Teach One 4th to 12th.
59. NOTICE IS NOT NOT ICE AND NOT ICE IS NOT NOTICE.
Section 7: Miscellaneous Essays That Need to be Written: Possible
Term Paper Subjects or thesis proposals
60. Beware of Educational Studies. You can find studies to support
almost any viewpoint, no matter how bizarre.
61. Beware of major school book publishers. There may not be a
conspiracy as such, but the very nature of publishing and marketing encourages a situation
that is educationally unhealthy.
62. How the federal and state departments of education waste most of their
If you would like to write one of these chapters and have it published in
a subsequent edition of this book, please Contact
on ordering PDF e-books