Accentuate the Positive;
Eliminate the Negative
Speaker: Don McCabe, Noted Author of
Teach a Dyslexic and
The Patterns of English Spelling
Participants will learn what research reveals about the following
1. Methods that don't work but are still commonly used:
2. Methods that do work but are rarely used:
Test, Study, Test
3. Selection systems for word lists.
Immediate Student Self-Correction
Careful Sequencing of Onsets and Rimes
- Some are good,
some are bad, and some are completely inexcusable.
4. How Handwriting Exercises Can Be Used to
"Smuggle" in Phonics, Vocabulary Building, Old Fashioned Basic Grammar,
5. How to Use AVKO's Word Families in Sentence
Context or How to Get Students to Help You Create Reading Materials.
6. What most students never learn unless they're
taught, including many of the gifted.
Contact Us | Donate